Advanced medicines like CAR-T cell therapies have been approved by the FDA and EMA and are projected to be at least a $10B USD industry by 2025.
Despite this success, a enormous gap exists between the current cost of curative therapies and the ability to affordably provide them to everyone who needs them, particularly underserved communities in the developed world and those in low- and middle-income countries (LMIC). This is especially important for curative therapies that treat human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection and hemoglobinopathies like Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) and Beta-Thalassemia (BT), global health crises that impact the lives of tens of millions of people who primarily reside in underserved communities and those in LMIC.
Bridging this gap will require research, clinical and infrastructural development, regulatory pathway approval, as well as capacity-building, education, training, and community adoption for success and sustainable affordability.
These pages highlight some of our initiatives to bridge this gap.
As advanced medicinal therapies are developed, it becomes ever more important to ensure that they are accessible to all who need them.
We support impact initiatives that broadly enable the implementation of affordable access to advanced medicines in underserved communities and those in LMIC.
Here’s how we do this:
- Facilitate clinical translation of cure candidates that have been validated for safety and efficacy.
- Healthcare professional personnel development, including supporting community educational facilities
- Develop and implement affordable place-of-care manufacturing infrastructure for hospitals and clinical centers
- Support education and training of local staff that would manufacture advanced medicines at local hospitals
- Capacity building to support the sustainability of locally manufactured advanced medicinal cure products
- Support the development of innovative technologies or systems that promote local access of advanced medicinal cures
- Work with local authorities for regulatory approval of safety and efficacy validated advanced medicines
- Work with local community leaders for successful adoption of advanced medicinal cures upon approval